I'm sure it could be done, just with a bit of planning.

The notion of passing in sql results is not foreign - we do it
sometimes to our own 'templates', but our templates are generally
just HTML with a bit of PHP in there, whereas the initial PHP page
is PHP with a tiny bit of HTML.  If there's a large result set that needs
parsing through, we'll normally do it in the PHP code, and write the results out to
a variable, substituted in the 'template'.  You could instead have a 'template
system' or php itself loop through that in the 'template' itself - whichever makes
more sense to the end coders.

I'd THINK you could do what you wanted with an array

$sql = one row of SQL results, in a has.

Passing $sql to the template, you could then have
$sql["page_id"]
$sql["page_name"]
etc.

Pulling stuff from the database drivers into an associate array would do this -
is this what you're talking about?