Ah...yes you can. You're probably scared of apache because it doesn't have a
GUI! But don't fret I was in the same boat not too long ago!

1) Download the lastest version of apache (www.apache.org you were close...)
2) Install apache (it does have an installation program)
3) Configuring apache
To configure apache you need to edit the httpd.conf file (I suggest you
create a backfirst!) it's pretty self explanatory, there's lots of
documentation for it. You can run both IIS and Apache as long as they're not
running on the same ports (eg :80, so either disable the web server for IIS
on port 80 (or change it to something like 64892) or make apache run on some
other port (you set this in httpd.conf under the Port option)) So after
you've setup your httpd.conf file, you'll start apache from the command line
(you may scream now if you'd like...this is where MS is...MS...) you run the
apache deamon with a command like C:\path\to\apache.exe start
C:\path\to\httpd.conf It's something similar to that, the command prompt
window will stay open and you won't be able to do anything in that window,
so to shut down apache, open a new window and do the C:\path\to\apache.exe
stop (I haven't done this on NT in a while so those commands are probably
wrong but it should be the right direction)
4) To setup subdomains (this is the good part)
If you want to actually setup domain.com to develop on locally and the site
isn't "online" you can add an entry to your hosts file (somewhere in
C:\WINNT\) and entry like "127.0.0.1 domain.com" (or you could create a
bogus TLD like domain.dev) and that will redirect all requests for
domain.xxx to your local apache server (assuming you've set Bind to * in the
httpd.conf file to listen to all IPs) For the actual subdomains you'd set
these in the httpd.conf file under VirtualDirectories (you can either do
Name based subdomains (one IP bound to NIC & multiple domains) or IP based
subdomains (multiple IPs bound to NIC & multiple domain names) Check the
apache.org documentation on how to set them up. It's not too terribly
complex...

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ServerName subdomain.domain.com
    DocumentRoot C:\path\to\your\website
</VirtualHost>

Just be careful though...once you start using apache and such you'll be on
linux in no time...I have three dev servers now & two live servers...NT is
my desktop only because I use homesite to dev with and a few other winx
progs. Also if anyof you out there know a good colorcoding *nix developer
app (for PHP of couse) please let me know!

If you get stuck on anything, just holler... (i'm usually on EFNet in PHP as
codeboy)

-Jonathan Sharp

Director of Technology - Imprev Inc.
Renwick Development Group - Flyerware