"Benjamin Munoz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Great thread. When I was changing jobs in April of 2000, a recruiter told
me
> that PHP is "cool and all", but there is zero demand for developers of PHP
> web apps (in Los Angeles).

Interesting.  We're located in [not very large, but high tech/internet
concentration] Charlottesville, Virginia and there's a pretty significant
demand for PHP-based apps and websites.  Then again, our target market is
small/medium businesses and small internet startups and after assessing a
client's needs, working with them to define a solution and developing a
proposal that nearly always uses LAMP the clients rarely care what we use as
long as we deliver.  Sure, larger, stodgier corportate clients with IT
departments are more resistent to utilizing PHP and open source technology
for their enterprise solutions, but they aren't the only customers out
there.

> therefore command a higher wage.  Demand vs supply, right?.  A search
today
> on monster.com for ASP in LA yields 142 listings, Java yields 262, JSP
> yields 32, Perl yields 105, PHP yields 16, cold fusion yields 16.

Odd.  My search on monster.com for "php" turned up 324 listings.  I *wish*
there were less - we have listings 135 and 136 and have not found the right
candidate yet.

--
Steve Werby
COO