At 09:51 PM 3/4/01 -0500, Ken wrote:

>Anyway, can someone please test to see if this doesn't happen in IE5.0?
>
>I really hate this situation, yessir.

I have installed IE 5.00.2614.3500 (that's what came with Win 98 2nd
edition CDROM vers 4.10.2222A) and it does NOT have the problem you have
described.

However, it has another bug that is almost as good.  Make this page called
mytest.php (I am using Xitami on localhost for the server)

<?php
   if(!isset($PHP_AUTH_USER)) {
     Header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"My Realm\"");
     Header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
     echo "Sorry you are not authorized\n";
     exit;
   } else {
     echo "Hello $PHP_AUTH_USER.<P>";
     echo "You entered $PHP_AUTH_PW as your password.<P>";
   }
?>

These are the steps I did.

1. open mytest.php and when the password prompt appears, I enter a
userid/password.
2. I see the "Hello" page with my userid and password.
3. close IE and reopen mytest.php, again the prompt appears -- this is good.
4. close IE and Restart Windows.
5. open mytest.php and when the password prompt appears, I hit CANCEL.
6. the message "Sorry you are not authorized" appears
7. in the address box I type www.google.com and wait for it to appear
8. I press the BACK button and guess what I see?  I see the "Hello" page
with my userid and password from step 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  apparently the page
is retrieved from the browser cache.

John Henckel          alt. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Zumbro Falls, Minnesota, USA   (507) 753-2216

http://geocities.com/jdhenckel/