On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> [snip]
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Have register globals set to ON is one way of leaving your script open
>
> > to being exploitable. [/snip]
> >
> > Please explain this, how does it make it more exploitable? I think
> > that this is only true if the code is sloppy.
>
> Correct, if you properly initialize your internal variables there is
> nothing insecure about leaving register_globals on.
> [/snip]
>
> Then why has there been such a big deal about register_globals security?
> Is it because so much code is sloppy?

>From a robustness perspective, it is not a bad idea to be more explicit
about where your user data is coming from and being able to easily
distinguish user-oriented data from internal data.  What has been blown a
bit out of proportion is the idea that you cannot possibly write secure
code with register_globals on.  That is of course completely false, but
you do have to be a little bit more careful which why the default was
changed to error on the side of safety.

-Rasmus