Sam Baum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> am Friday 18 July 2003 23:08 schrieb Andu:
>
> > This may show my ignorance or my refusal to take for granted something I
> > don't fully understand but I have a hard time figuring out the advantage
> > of using classes as opposed to just functions. I am certainly new to php
> > and at first sight classes seemed to cut a lot of corners but so do
> > functions (with which I have more experience). The more I read about
> > classes the deeper the confusion. Anyone can enlighten me?
>
> Im programming for a few years now in PHP. After trying to use classes i
> dont see their point either. In most cases if i need a class-like structure
> i do something like this:
>
> function thing_new() {
>         return ++$GLOBALS['thing_resource'];
> }

The biggest thing classes do is resolve name space issues, even with
this method you have namespace issues with your function name and your
variables.  This rather effects a lot of people who create libraries to
share with.

A big downfall with classes, however is there speed.  Benchmarking a
function call vs. a class->method call, results in a significant
difference and even more if your using a lot of classes.

In general, I only use small and nicely bundled classes that don't have
to do a lot of work, ie authentication, session.

> Because there is no constraint to be more OO like in Java it doesnt makes
> sense. And this way you are more flexible.

And besides php wasn't designed/developed to be an OO language.

Curt.