* Thus wrote [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Wednesday, July 23, 2003, 3:33:48 PM, you wrote:
> CZ> * Thus wrote [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have to convince one guy to not move our site from Linux box where
> >> it runs with Apache/PHP + MySQL to Windows box where it's going to deal
> >> with Windows 2k/IIS/PHP(CGI) + MySQL and I need really good arguments,
> >> cause it's only way I can convince him (cause his position in company
> >> is much stronger than mine).
>

> >> I know that PHP under windows is intended to be used only as test
> >> platform, but this is not enough to convince him.
>
> CZ> Perhaps back when php3 was new and apache was strugling with windows,
> CZ> it was considered test platform.
>
> Maybe, I just remembered that warning and actually I can't find such
> one in PHP manual/installation notes.
> Does the same apply to MySQL?

I have no experience with MySQL server on windows, therefore I can't
comment on that.

> >> Can you help me? I need some reasons like things that won't work under
> >> windows version of PHP (or at least MySQL) and that are not easy to
> >> fix. I've already found that IIS doesn't provide
> >> $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] but it's not too much work to fix that..
>
> CZ> Its kind of difficult to come up with reasons not to use IIS without
> CZ> knowledge of:
>
> CZ>   1. Who and what experience does he(she) have in administrating these
> CZ>      Windows servers.
>
> CZ>   2. What kind of application do you intend write in php.
>
> One of the reasons I (we) don't want to move to Windows and IIS is
> that person being administrator of that box knows less than he thinks
> he knows ;) and surely server is not well configured and protected..

That always seems to be the case... expecially when this issue comes up.

> Beside that site now works on Linux server without any problems and
> moving it will cause only pointless work. But moving to IIS is
> decision made by someone "above" me so without good reasons against I
> can't stop that. And believe me - there is really no need to move to
> IIS.

I don't understand then why they want to move, it seems that what you
just said proves to be the strongest case... if it aint broke, leave it
alone.

I know this has been discussed plenty of times, have you searched the
archives? There might be some good points made on this already.

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."