On Monday 12 March 2001 20:27, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to do some fileuploading.. but I am running into a problem
> with escaping spaces.
>
> Basically, I have this directory that includes spaces and I need to be
> able to change the spaces to "\ " so for example..
>
> my directory is: Fun Documents
> I need to change it to: Fun\ Documents
>
> That way when I copy.. I wont get errors! Plus, there is always the
> potential that the filename might have a space in it.

Why would you get an error when copying? copy(), fopen() and all the
rest should work fine with filenames-with-spaces.

> So how do I escape these spaces?
>
> I have tried this.. and it doesnt work:
> $copyto = strtr($copyto, " ", "\ ");

strtr () is for "TRanslating" strings between character sets, i.e. it
replaces single characters with single other characters
strtr ($SomeString, "abc", "qwe");
will replace all "a" with "q", all "b" with "w" and all "c" with "e"

> I am sorta clueless.. any ideas?

Well, as I said above you shouldn't need this, and in fact this could
become a quite unstable solution. You escape spaces - but what about
filenames containing tabs, newlines etc?

copy () takes care of that automatically.

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

I sat laughing snidely into my notebook until they showed me a PC running
Linux. And oh! It was as though the heavens opened and God handed down a
client-side OS so beautiful, so graceful, and so elegant that a million
Microsoft developers couldn't have invented it even if they had a hundred
years and a thousand crates of Jolt cola.

- LAN Times