Jennifer Goodie <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 11:27 AM said:

>> and in any event they're often things I
>> wouldn't have thought about looking up anyway.
>

> I love how the argument for not doing research is not having the
> time/not wanting to waste time.  That is just lazy and selfish.

I totally agree with you on the time factor. The answerers time (for
lack of a better word) is more important than the questioners time
(again, for lack of a better word).

But I think a good point that the above quote contains is "in any event
they're often things I wouldn't have thought about looking up anyway".

I find that, although I know my question is rudimentary, I don't even
know how to search for it on google or in the archives. I don't know
what a function is called, or what it /might/ be called and therefore my
only recourse is to describe what I'm thinking (or trying/wanting to do)
to another human being that can better interpret my question than google
or the archives can.

I'll even search groups.google.com by asking my question in as few words
as possible. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't, and mainly
because people don't always ask the same question the same way.

Here's an example...

"How do I return a string based on certain criteria? For example I've
got the string 'magical mystery tour' and I want to return the word
'myst' if it's found within the original string."

A bad answer would be:

"RTFM http://php.net/preg_match";

A good answer would be:

"That can be done with a regular expression. The function you're looking
for is called preg_match. http://php.net/preg_match";

And guess what, I pasted that question into google and it gave me not
one good result. It did tell me how the Rio works though.

My .02

Chris.