From: Robert Cummings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:00 AM
To: skate
Cc: Yao, Minghua; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] How to point at a spot and get relevant information?

ou should be able to use an image map form input widget to get the
coordinates that the user selects from some image you display to them.
Then the determination of relevant information can occur server side via
PHP. I don't have experience with this, but it appears to be how
mapquest works:

<input type=image name=mqmap border=0 src="http://mq-mapgen ...

HTH,
Rob.

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 11:52, skate wrote:

> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Anybody knows how to write a graphic plotting code such that when
users
> > > point
> > > at that spot, they can get the information relevant to that spot?
Thanks
> > > in advance.
> > >

> that'd be pretty intense. to do this feasbly with PHP, you'd have to
analyse
> the picture first with the GD library. but to allow the user to interact
> with this, your gonna have to store all values into JavaScript. the users
> interaction can't be done with PHP, as that's all client side.
>
> this would result in possibly huge amounts of code to download, and fairly
> high processing time. i don't know if there's a javascript alternative, or
> maybe some other technology someone's made. this wouldn't be so hard in
> flash tho...

| Worlds of Carnage - http://www.wocmud.org   |
| Come visit a world of myth and legend where |
| fantastical creatures come to life and the  |
| stuff of nightmares grasp for your soul.    |