From: David Otton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 11:31 AM
To: Yao, Minghua
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] How to point at a spot and get relevant information?

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:59:01 -0500 , you wrote:

>Thank you for your reponses. The problem is there are thousands of spots on
>the plot.
>The locations are random.

This may be one of those "you can't get there from here" problems, and
you'll have to rethink the presentation of your data. What's the
application?

I would have suggested an image and Javascript picking up mouse X and Y, but
thousands of points sounds like a lot of data to throw out to the client,
and a big array for Javascript to do lookups against.

Thoughts:

a) Try compressing the data before it's sent. Describe several adjacent,
similar points with a single polygon instead.

b) Zoom in, and pan across the plot. That way there's less data on each
page.

c) Flash? Java? They should have better response times than Javascript. A
regular desktop app would be best, of course.

e) Embed the label into the plot in some way. Charts on paper don't need
hovering labels, maybe you don't either.