Using a cookie (I know, I know...) I plant a cookie in the visitor's
browser when he opens the site with a random generated number which
expires when the browser(s) is closed. With that SID, PHP stores the
orders (one per line) into a "sessions" table in MySQL each with the
itemID. Is it fine or am I too messy?

TXS,

Cesar Aracena