"Raditha Dissanayake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Mmmmm, very interesting thread, thanx for starting this. Good comments
curt.

> >>1. (!!!) Absolutely easily generate new sessions with any content for
every
> >>site on server.
> >>

> It's because of the 'suspect' nature of sessions and cookies that i
> never place userid,username or password in sessions. My tactic is to
> aways have 2 column mysql table and store session identifier and
> corresponding userid in it. So even if someone does create a bogus
> session they still have to find a way to insert a userid into the mysql
db.

Yep, there are many ways. But i think 90% of php users doesnt even realize
that every user on the same server can actually get full access to their
account through sessions. And i bet it can be done now on 90% of the hosting
companies :D The only workaround i thought out on system level, without
disabling ini_set is to create for every user unique session folder, with
random 20-30 chars length, and to set this dir for every user through
php_admin_value.
But theres still next problem below

> >3. Flood every http server writable directory with thousands or millions
> >files.
> >

> set quotas. Some admins even set quota for the root user, which is
> inconvinient by safe.

Unfortunetly setting quotes (eg for apache user)doesnt prevent from flooding
out entire disk. For example i can have running a script that will check
user directories every 15 minutes and if some directory will contain large
amount of apache generated files, user account will be disabled and files
will be removed. But what to do if for example i have 500 users and every
user directory is flooded out with bogus files? Actually i can imaging some
sort of terrorising the server this that kind of attack :)