Mike --

...and then Ford, Mike               [LSS] said...
%
% On 14 October 2003 14:45, David T-G wrote:
%
% > ...and then Ford, Mike               [LSS] said...
% > %
% > % On 14 October 2003 11:26, David T-G wrote:
% > %
% > % > I ran a phpinfo() comparison and didn't see anything markedly
% > should provide,
% > % > but I'm
% > % > hesitant to
% > % > bomb the list with two phpinfo() outputs :-)
% >
% > [Dude, what did you do to my paragraph formatting?!?]
%
% Not me, boss -- it's this crappy M$ Outlook thingie they force me to use at work...
;-Z

Bleah -- sucks to work there, man!  But thanks for the help.

%
% > % Well, rather than post two complete phpinfos, can you hone
% > it down to just those entries which *are* different.  I'd
% >
% > OLD:
% >                session.use_trans_sid
% >
% >                          1                 1
% > NEW:
% >
% >    session.use_trans_sid     Off         Off
%
% Oh-ho!! I'd seriously suspect this might have something to do with it.  Set this
back to On on the new server and see what transpires.

Funny you should mention that...  I took a look at this today and it had
magically been turned back on!  Didn't matter, though -- and httpd was
restarted at least some hours after the ini file was modified, so it
should have picked up the change (and I checked phpinfo via httpd and it
shows on).

This is what lets me have sessions even without cookies, right?  Yes,
this is a Good Thing(tm).

%
% > % It might also help to post a (short!) fragment of the relevant code.
%
% [...]
%
% >   session_save ;                                    # save for later
%
% Actually this looks a bit suspicious too -- I'm not 100% sure that session_save is
actually going to be called without parentheses () after it; that would certainly be
the case in most of the languages I'm used to, but I could be wrong for PHP.  You
should also probably include a session_write_close() to make sure you completely close
out the session.

I fixed this and session_start but to no avail.

The demo code that our ISP (who built and manages the system) used to
prove that sessions were working is

  <?php
    session_start() ;
    $_SESSION["count"]++ ;
    print $_SESSION["count"] ;
  ?>

and, sure enough, the count goes up as you reload the page.  Yay -- sort of.

So I stepped back and made *myself* a small page.  It's

  session_name('goof') ;
  session_start ;
  session_register('g') ;
  $passwordcom = "G" ;

  print "_SESSION[g] IS .$_SESSION[g].<br>\n";  ###
  print "g IS .$g. AND passwordcom IS .$passwordcom.<br>\n";    ###
  if ( $_SESSION[g] != $passwordcom )                           # no password (yet)?
  {
    if ( $_SESSION[g] != "" )                                   # is this a second try?
    {
      print "Invalid Password.  Authorized access only.<br>&nbsp<br>\n" ;
#      session_unregister('g') ;
    }
    echo "<form method='post'>";
    print "Password:<br> <input type='password' name='g'>";
    print "</form>\n";
    session_write_close() ;
    exit ;                                              # nothing else to do
  }

to mirror fairly closely the real page (in fact it's mostly taken from
the real page).

Something I realized as I was working on this is that we only ever refer
to the passed variable as $g (actually $pw).  That smacks awfully of a
globals setting; $pw is set from $_SESSION[pw] when present.  But all of
my global settings look the same.

The two results of this code are at

  http://www.locations.org/sessions/testme.php
  http://test.locations.org/sessions/testme.php

and are slightly different.   I'm still not sure what to make of it
all and I definitely don't know where to go next :-(

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"