On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Kelly Hallman wrote:
> I am trying to find help or information on running the Java extension with
> PHP under Apache on Redhat Linux using a Sun JVM.
>
> I am aware that the PHP documentation says that the Java extension is
> experimental. I am also aware that people say the ISAPI version does not
> work well and that running PHP as a CGI should give better results. We've
> tried, and so far it doesn't seem to be more reliable.

Not sure how ISAPI has anything to do with Apache on Redhat here.  But I
guess you are just making two disjointed comments.

> Oddly, it does work most of the time. However, maybe 3/10 times or so it
> gives an error. When using the Java extension with PHP running as ISAPI,
> PHP gives the error "Unable to create Java Virtual Machine" .. when
> running as a CGI I get that or one of several different errors--again,
> only part of the time. That is, when an error does appear, refreshing the
> page once or twice will usually bring up the correct output.

Ok, maybe not.  So which is it?  There is no ISAPI for Linux.

> At first, I was frustrated that the cookie decrypter was only available in
> Java.. However, after a while I began to see why they chose to do it this
> way: so that you could decrypt the cookie from various languages and
> platforms, but they only needed to maintain one code base.

Having to run a Java emulator just to decode a cookie sounds absolutely
nuts to me.  Can you not get the algorithm for decrypting this cookie and
simply write it in C?  That's how everyone else achieves code portability.

> Now, I'm just frustrated that PHP doesn't work very well with Java.
> Myself and several others have looked extensively for the answer to this
> and we've tried all the viable remedies that have been suggested.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions?  Also, can it be confirmed or denied that
> Java support will eventually be dropped from PHP?  Plans to improve it?

The demand has been very low and volunteers to improve it are hard to
find.  If someone steps up to do it, it will improve.

-Rasmus