Right, I agree this is a very bassakwards way of going about it.. In this
instance, performance is not really an issue as much as politics.. but
this comment is useful as we may be able to persuade them into providing
information about the algorithm in use, to develop something more usable. We are the small fish, and the big fish provides this service.. it's
politically beneficial to us if we could get it running in the short term,
but it appears that the Java extension really isn't ready for prime time..

Fortunately I've made contact with the guy who developed the Java code, and he has a vested interest in getting it to work with PHP too, so maybe in the longer term we can find a better solution...

Suggestion: ask your java developer to create JSP that uses the decoder bean. Host on the LAN. Post the encrypted data to it and recieve the decrypted response. This would be pathetic in terms of performance but you don't appear to be concerned about it. You would obviously want to do this over HTTPS instead of plain old HTTP

best regards

-- Raditha Dissanayake. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ http://www.radinks.com/sftp/ | http://www.raditha.com/megaupload Lean and mean Secure FTP applet with | Mega Upload - PHP file uploader Graphical User Inteface. Just 150 KB | with progress bar.