From: Miles Thompson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 7:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Re: Flash-PHP Socket Connection

Use xmlReceiver to trigger the back end PHP script. Have that script
generate XML which you parse in Flash. Plain text will work, but a single
quotation mark in the text sends you off to never never land. Here's an
example:

xmlReceiver.load( "http://"; + host + "feed_xml_article.php");

I know it's not a socket, but it's plenty fast.

Regards - Miles Thompson

PS What good would a socket to PHP do, anyway? (I probably just revealed my
ignorance!) /mt

At 11:03 PM 1/20/2004 +0100, Eric Bolikowski wrote:
>Hey Ben
>
>I know it may sound nuts, but I really want to make a socket connection
>between a Flash and a PHP file.
>
>Normally I would simply read in a text file/read XML/send data with GET or
>POST, but I'm looking for a socket connections of following reasons:
>
>1) I want a fast connection
>2) I'm looking at this as a challenge, because it doesn't seem like anyone
>else has done this before
>
>Eric
>
>"Ben Ramsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > What I mean is: you shouldn't need to use sockets to read in a file from
> > Flash unless you're trying to do something more complicated, but from
> > the way it sounds, you just want to pull data from MySQL with a PHP
> > script and output it to Flash.  The PHP script could just echo plain
> > text and Flash can read that in just fine without needing to connect via
> > a socket.
> > -Ben
> >
> > Ben Ramsey wrote:
> >
> > > Flash has the ability to read in text files, so you could use PHP to
> > > output data in the correct format and use Flash to read the PHP script
> > > like it reads a text file.  We did this in ASP once upon a time.
> > >
> > > Here's a tutorial about reading text files into Flash:
> > > http://www.virtual-fx.net/tutorials/html/loadtextfile.htm
> > >
> > > Also, from what I understand, Flash now has a great XML parser, so you
> > > could use PHP to generate XML and Flash could read in the XML as
> > > variables.  You might want to look into that, but I think it's only
> > > available in the newest version.
> > >
> > > -Ben

Flash

Flash