From: Richard Davey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 9:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Advice Needed

Hello daniel,

deo> Hi there, i have finally built a project space for work, its a
collaborate
deo> space for storing important key documents (not public), what is the
best
deo> way to store these, outside the web directory or would it be safe
within a
deo> htaccess protected directory ? Being that to access that directory i
would
deo> have to send the login and pass to the link of the file which i fopen
up
deo> and either header output to the browser or download.

If you're going to open the files via fopen on the local filesystem,
your htaccess settings have no implication on this at all. For files
like this I store them outside of the web root and fopen them from my
PHP script and stream them to the browser. That is on a dedicated
server where I know no-one has access to the directory they are stored
in and it can never be found via the web server. Your mileage may
vary.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey