Mike:

You MUST store the hardware information first so you can get the actual
HardwareID determined by the hardware table's auto increment field.
Any other way you do it you leave open the possibility for error.

On your main hardware page, I'd make the "Volume Information" section
have conditional text.  If the presently viewed page is for a new piece
of hardware, show a note saying something like "Save the hardware
information.  Then you can input the volumes."  But, if the hardware
page is displaying the data for an existing piece of hardware, the "Add
Volume" link would be shown.  The link would have a HardwareID in the
URI query string.

--Dan

--
               PHP classes that make web design easier
        SQL Solution  |   Layout Solution   |  Form Solution