Jason,
        Have no worries, I'm not looking for anyone to write my code for
me. It's precisely because the str_replace command is so simple that I
figure if the results are strange that there is something I don't
understand. And I want to understand it, not just be given code to copy
and paste.
        As it turns out, by experimenting with the var_dump() command
that you recommended (which I wasn't aware of), I learned that what was
going wrong was that the line breaks coming out of my MySQL DB aren't
just \n, but \r\n. So swapping around the elements I was replacing, and
experimenting, was not going to do me much good until I knew this.
        So now it's working, and largely thanks to the suggestions you
gave. I would never have been able to guess on my own at using
var_dump() in order to get at the solution. Please don't assume that
just because a query is simple that it means that the person asking is
not willing to work or that they haven't already attempted to work at
it. Sometimes it just means that the person asking doesn't know all the
angles possible.

        Thanks for your help.

--
Yoroshiku!