Chris,

a few answers :)

On 3/25/01 5:43 PM, "Chris Cocuzzo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hey-
>
> Alright I noticed that question about URL parsing. I could've sworn I saw
> some article on PHPBuilder.com that said that instead of doing all that
> modifying with apache, you could simply write something to change the URL
> with '?' and '&' and '=' so that they symbols could be represented using a
> simple /, does anyone remember seeing it?...

dunno - think it's in the php.ini?

> In any case, I'll ask, what would be the best way to do this with
> scripting, something like str_replace() or perhaps a regular expression to
> both modify the URL and then allow pages using that modified URL to
> recognized the variable/value pairs? Or is that even possible?

You could... I'm hacking through using:

$path_array = explode('/', $REQUEST_URI);

$last_item              =       array_pop($path_array);
$next_to_last_item      =       array_pop($path_array); / item

only drawback is the positional stuff is fixed.
now I am trying to figure out how to generate my hrefs in the page to have a
matching structure....

> My other question is this: Sometimes I notice URL's where it looks like
> this, http://www.whatever.com/?blah=blah&d=d, or
> http://www.whatever.com/local?name=name&d=d. How is that done, where there
> is no file extension after the file name, or no file name at all, just a
> question mark directly after the slash?

probably the a .htaccess  or apache.conf directive:

<Location /local>
ForceType application/x-httpd-php3
</Location>

This would send everything to a script called "local".
This is from: http://phpbuilder.com/columns/tim19990117.php3

hth,

regards,
jaxon