while a bit ugly, you could just use array_pop() to get each item into a
variable and then echo them back out into your variable assignment...

somewhat cleaner would be to create an assoc array of config vars:

$uri_items_num=count($path_array);
for ($i=1, $i <= $uri_items_num, $i++)
    {
    $key=array_pop($path_array);