Rene, et al --

...and then -{ Rene Brehmer }- said...
%
% According to historical records, on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:39:33 -0400 John
% Nichel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about "Re: [PHP] PHP Web Hosting":
%
% >-{ Rene Brehmer }- wrote:
% >> At 21:19 19-04-2004, John Nichel wrote:
% >>
% >>> Greg Donald wrote:
% >>>
% >>>> Your signature is twice the rfc1855 suggested limit.
% >>>
% >>> And the RFC1885 'guidelines' are also almost 10 years old.  I think
% >>
% >
% >Ahhhh, but the almost 10 year old RFC says this...
% >
% >"Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line with a
% >carriage return."
%
% Hmm ... why the heck 65 characters ??? ... Old EGA screens were 80x34

Because by the time you get to the fourth or fifth reply, just as in this
top-heavy example, the original 65-char line will be shifted over by
quote markers and be nearing the 80-char screen limit after all.

/me fondly remembers a quoting war where the various posters'
contributions made a string of gibberish over 40 chars long ...
/me fondly remembers days when different quoting prefixes were
accepted -- nay, expected -- as well

% characters, VGA is 80x43 characters ... The reason Usenet standard is 76
% chars wide messages (today anyways) is that text-mode readers need the last
% 4 characters to display window borders and control chars along the message
% lines ...

What "text-mode readers" bother with "window borders"? :-)

But I agree with the CR/NL/CR-NL bit, and I can't imagine and RFC
casually calling a newline a carriage return.  Odd.

HTH & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G