On 12/07/2004, at 6:38 PM, Thomas Seifert wrote:

Really what do you need an internal function for something simple like
that?

It may be simple, but it's 60 characters I have to type over and over, or a user defined function I have to include() from a library file (and I have to ensure that library file is up to date on 30+ web applications).

My view of internal functions is that they solve common, repetitive problems. Sure, some of those problems are quite complex, but others are not. A perfect example would be array_walk() -- it can be solved in a "one liner" too:

        foreach ($in as $k => $v ) { $in[$k] = myFunction($v); }

... but someone decided it was useful as an internal function. My hope was that there was such a function to delete empty array elements already defined in PHP, but since it appears there isn't, I'll just keep including my own from a library file.

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au