I would do it this way:

- open the page and create hidden iframe (or frame with 0% width/height) which will be refreshing itself every ... let's say ... 2 minutes... then you'll get up to 2 minutes accurate numbers... the refreshed page would write timestamp to database every refresh... when the user crashes or leaves the page without logging off, you know, that his next refresh (and last one) would be LASTREFRESH + 2mins ... that gives you quite accurate numbers when implemented correctly.

On the other hand, it will be a bit load producing, while that subsequent writes to database...

Hope it helped a bit,
regards,
m.

Robb Kerr wrote:

I know that this is somewhat off topic, but I just need a starting place to
do the research and thought someone here might be able to help. I am
developing an application in which I need to time how long a visitor
remains within a module and how long they view each page. I can create the
appropriate fields in MySQL and can use PHP to do the appropriate
calcualtions. What I don't know is how I communicate this information to
the server. I can use POST or GET statements to pass info with page turns
but what do I do if the visitor leaves the site without logging out or
experiences a machine crash?

Also, if anyone knows of a good javascript newsgroup, please pass along the
info.

Thanx,
Robb