> >>I know that this is somewhat off topic, but I just need a starting place
> >>to do the research and thought someone here might be able to help. I am
> >>developing an application in which I need to time how long a visitor
> >>remains within a module and how long they view each page.

It seems like alot of people are focusing on what you can't do. As the
client seems not to care, you could take the immediate approach and
mimic several other online education sites, combining JavaScript to
monitor the browsing habits and submitting a php script when the page
is left.

IE, use onload/onfocus to start a timer, onblur to pause it, and then
onunload to perhaps popup or popunder a new window, populate a form
with your necessary data, auto-submit and close that window. Sure, not
entirely accurate, and you can still fool it if you have the know-how,
but much more accurate than refreshing a frame every 2 minutes, and
you have control of a timer than can be stopped when the user's not
viewing the page.

IIRC, there are several 'defensive driving' online sites that use this
approach in the US.

-SS