"End of the commercial break, we're going back to the news headlines"

But hey, what to expect on a PHP list, right?
Well, at least a story that makes sense.

This is crap, so to speak. Syed, I suggest you should search on Google
(for example, search for "PHP vs Perl" on groups) and see what people are
talking about, and please try to find objectivity.
What is said here is mostly wrong, and without starting a
flame war again (Lost of megs and time are already used for this on the
Net), perl is not mature, limited or inflexible (why do you think perl
was able to evaluate to incorpate full OO, oh well).

Keep the following in mind when you do your search:

- Each language has its purposes, and so each languages has its strengths
and weaknesses
- Be cautious with benchmarking, lots of benchmarks are comparing apples
and eggs (compare PHP performance to plain Perl, instead of mod_perl for
example)
- Statistics of what is being installed does not say about if it's really
used.
- Drawbacks for someone can be nice features for someone else, and vice
versa.

Please find out for yourself, and don't draw any conclusions based on
the answer below. You should check them both, at least to know which
language "fits" your purpose, and may be other things come into play in
your situation also, knowledge around, time you got (perl may take a bit
more time to learn), what to do with it in the future and so on and so
forth.

Jurgen

"  When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute.
But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour.
That's relativity." [A. Einstein, 1938]

http://jurgenstroo.com