Youll find knowing both languages will be handy in development.  Im
not a huge fan of having to program in perl, however, at times, its
far easier to use perl than any other language.  An example of that,
would be to create a small server client program that possibly parses
or extrapolates data from a stream or file.. Perl is extremely strong
in this area.  When scripting serverside programs for the web, i use
php over perl 100% of the times.  There is vast differences between
the two, this doesnt make one better than the other in all
circumstances, quite the opposite.

Jason