Sam Hobbs wrote:

"Ramil Sagum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ah. You should have said this in your first mail (which was
confusing). It now becomes clear. I think what you are looking for is
a template engine, like smarty

http://smarty.php.net/

If Smarty is a good solution that the other osCommerce users and developers agree is useful, then yes, I should have said more in my original question. If however Smarty is not a good solution for osCommerce, then explaining that I am modifying osCommerce would have been confusing and distracting.

I like the idea of separating the UI from the program. Programmers and
software designers have been doing that for many years. It is usually easier
to keep the UI separate from the processing and then have tags of some type
in the UI that allows the processing to put data into the UI and pluck it
out. That type of thing can be done using HTML too. There are some
disadvantages of using HTML and the DOM but I suspect there are limitations
of Smarty too. If it is possible to use HTML and the DOM then there are
significant advantages to using an existing standard that is in common use.

If a web site is hosted in a server owned by someone else and if the
server's owner (which includes the employees) must install Smarty befor it
can be used, then that is a critical disadvantage of Smarty.

So do you know of specific advantages of Smarty compated to using the HTML
and DOM standards? Without spending a lot of time to learn Smarty, it is
difficult for me to see the advantages.

Smarty is a template engine, you can download it and embed it in your application, it's not necessary to 'install' it on the server.

I suggest you read some overview of Smarty, you'll get the idea really fast. It's easy to understand...