> >> It took me a while to find an explanation of what a PECL is. I kept
> >> reading
> >> comments about things being moved to a PECL but I saw nothing about what
> >> is
> >> in a PECL or how to get anything out of a (the?) PECL. As far as I knew,
> >> there is a danger of all of PHP being in a PECL.
> >
> > There is documentation on the way for what to do with these PECL
> > extension on how to install and upgrade them.
>

> Perhaps you did not read everything I said, since there is more to what I
> said than what you quoted, and in the other part of what I said, I did say
> there is documentation as you say. Is that more or less muddy?
>
> So in other words, yes, there is documentation. The point I was making is
> that the documentation is not as easy to find as it could be. So the issue
> is not about use of PECL as much as it is use of the PHP documentation to
> find the PECL (documentation).

All PECL extensions are or will be documented at php.net/manual/ but
currently this is not the case, for several reasons, most notably lack
of people to create said documentation. While the current state is
less than ideal, don't think it's how it will continue to be nor how
it's intended to be. And eventually links to this documentation will
exist at pecl.php.net/{extname}, there is an open bug report on this.

No, PECL is not a black hole, but it is a new hole looking to be filled.

Regards,
Philip