"John Nichel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I don't know anything about WindowsXP or it's 'firewall', but you _may_
> have to open the port for which you have MySQL running on.  I haven't
> followed this thread, but if MySQL, and your php enabled webserver are on
> the same box, then your firewall doesn't come into play.

Yes, this is all one system, so I sure thought that a firewall is not
relevant. Thank you for saying so.

I don't (should not) have the Windows XP firewall turned on; I use
ZoneAlarm.

This is extraneous relevance, but there is a possibility that the Windows XP
firewall got turned on due to Windows XP SP2 (the latest big batch of fixes
and upgrades for XP). I doubt it, though; I have checked and such. However
to the extent that a firewall is not relevant, this is tnot relevant.

Something that might be relevant is the possibility of some other new
security feature installed by the XP SP2. If so, then many others will be
encountering it in the future; SP2 was released to the public sometime in
the last couple of months, probably less than a month ago. Even so, I am
surprised that I am the first to say anything if that is the problem.
Probably if that was a problem, other systems that were working would have
been broken by SP2 and people would know that SP2 is the cause. Using that
logic, it is unlikely that SP2 is the problem.