"John Nichel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Jason Davidson wrote:
>> The webpage of coarse, is not local, regardless of where its hosted, so
>> a firewall will come into play when trying to connect.  You dont have
>> disable it, i should have been specifc i suppose, you must
>> allow for the mysql port to be open. :)
>> Whats for others to confirm, try it yourself and see if it works.
>>
>> Jason
>
> You understanding of how this works is a bit off Jason.  If you make a
> call to one of my web sites from your machine via a browser, the _only_
> port I need to have open to the outside is 80 (or whatever port I have my
> web server running on), even if I make 1000 calls to a local db, but this
> has nothing to do with how the web server talks to MySQL.  What is meant
> by local here, is that the MySQL db and web server are on the same
> machine. A firewall comes into play when your web browser requests a page
> from my web server, but does not come into play when that page has to
> connect to a local db before sending content to you.  Your remote machine
> never talks to my local MySQL db.

Thank you. As I said previously, I did think that the firewall would not be
relevant.

I don't know a lot about the TCP/IP stuff but I do know enough to write a
couple of simple programs. They are actually UDP programs. An example is my
"UDP Send and Receive Using CAsyncSocket" at:

http://simplesamples.info/MFC/UDPSendReceive.php

Using it, I can send and receive UDP packets within my system using
127.0.0.1 without any problem from my firewall.