oh boohoooo, i replied to that, explicitly detailing you can simply
allow an open port for mysql rather than drop the whole firewall.

Yes this type of comment cuases problems, or in your case, fixes your
problem... at least your mysql connection one.  so are you saying im
unreasonable, and unknowledgable, me, the person who although blasted
with a few emails, telling me i dont understand how localhost works,
had the correct solution to your problem ..

thanks sam, glad to be of service.  BTW, good posts on PHP Internals,
have you noticed that the whole world is irrelevent and unreasonable,
well, except for you....

Jason