As long as PEAR standars are enforced ONLY for the PEAR library, then it's
ok. It makes it alot easier to read such code if all of it's contents use
the same style.

But when they try to reach over and make all applications do it, then it's
too far. But I don't see them trying to do that.

When PEAR says not to use short-tags, they aren't saying it just becase they
"prefer that style". They say it for this exact reason.

The standard tags work great with XML, but with short tags xml may break.

ASP tags should be avoided, because what if your application get's installed
on a server that supports ASP? So your PHP code get's passed to an ASP
parser, and it gets all confused, and it could accidentally totally screw up
your app and open a security hole.

Don't look at PEAR as trying to set standards for _you_. Look at the
standards as for PEAR library content, and ask why they say such things.

For instance, when they say not to use 4 spaces (or was it 3?) instead of
tabs? I think that's stupid, and I don't do it. But they did it for a
reason, even if I don't understand it. I will abide by it if I want my stuff
included in PEAR, but in my own apps I keep using tabs (it's easier to use
backspace/delete on a tab, for one thing).

PEAR servers a valuable role as instructor. You may never have thought there
was a reason to add that extra "php" on your opening tag, but now you know
why they reccommend it ;) Let's not try and restrict what the developers of
an entirely seperate standard (XML) do with their code just so we can avoid
writing our code like it was intended to be written :)

As long as PEAR is a restriction on PEARlib content, and just a suggestion
to everyone else, then PEAR is great. If PEAR trys to force me to use their
standards in my programming in any way, then they've become "code police",
and we sure as heck don't need that.

Remember, PHP is a "loosely typed" language. That's why I like it. However I
often treat it as strictly typed to ensure I don't create any errors, but I
like having that choice to just be "loose". Ya know?

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...

""Dean Hall"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9ao32a$n7v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9ao32a$n7v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have some problems with the PEAR "standards", and I'm wondering what
> others have to say about what the PHP developers are doing to overcome
PHP's