On Wednesday 18 April 2001 07:22, you wrote:
> Hey there guys,
>
>     This may seem like a dumb question, but I have to ask it anyway.
>
> I have a form in one of my php based scripts that allows for file
> uploads. I recently noticed a potential issue if people upload files
> containing anything else but the standard characters
> ([_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]).
>
>     I am not sure if this can be done, but what I need to do is parse
> this variable (lets call it $file_name) by character looking for
> anything save letters a-z (A-Z) and numbers 0-9.  Any arrangements of
> numbers, letters and full stops (.) are to be permitted, and if any
> character does not meet those specifications, that single character
> should be converted to an underscore.

$Input = preg_replace ('/[^\w.-]/', '_', $$Input);

I assumed that you also want to allow "minus" signs.

See the manual section on the regular expression functions
(Perl-compatible) for an explanation

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse