Search the machine for "php.ini", I'm guessing that you'll find one in your
main PHP directory as well as in your main Windows directory.  I believe the
Windows directory copy is read first.  I'm not sure why.

At any rate, if it looks like it's reading the wrong copy of PHP.ini, searching
your system for alternate copies and either removing them (should work) or
moving your good copy should work.

Just looked it up.. yeah, it appears that there's probably a php.ini in your
main Windows directory.

Also, lots of other good info on this topic at:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

Also2, looks like restarting the web service may help in some cases.

Also3, since you've come over to the "dark side" as it where :), I'd recommend
getting on the PHP Windows mailing list as well since some of your problems are
going to be Windows specific and there may be people there with more experience.

Good luck Jay!

-TG