On 11/15/05, Roman Ivanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robin Vickery wrote:
> > On 11/15/05, Roman Ivanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Can '<?=' be used for templates, or is it "a bad thing"?
> >

> > The manual's reasonably explicit on the subject:
> >
> > "Note:  Using short tags should be avoided when developing
> > applications or libraries that are meant for redistribution, or
> > deployment on PHP servers which are not under your control, because
> > short tags may not be supported on the target server. For portable,
> > redistributable code, be sure not to use short tags."
>
> I've seen this note. But I haven't seen a single server where short tags
> were disabled.

If you've seen this note, then why did you need to ask?

It doesn't really matter whether you've seen a server where short tags
are disabled, just the possibility that they won't work means they're
not portable. Long tags always work.

Many experienced sysadmins automatically disable everything that's not
needed, and short tags definitely come under that heading.

  -robin