Hi,

This might be a bit of a long shot, but I'm willing to give it a go. :)

Does anyone know of a server-side SVG parser that can be called via some
kind of PHP extension? I want to be able to parse an SVG XML file and
write it out to disk, for usage with customisable menus. I have been given
a few options, by a friend, but they involve running Batik (SVG Java
parser/generator/rasteriser) under an application server - a bit beyond
me, at present. Would would be great is if there were some kind of binary
out there on the web that could do the processing for me, as opposed to
relying on Java (slight overhead as the VM has to initialise). Another
similar option would be to write a Java app that acts as an SVG daemon,
meaning that it would listen on a port, take SVG data in and spew out a
rasterised JPEG/PNG etc - all that would be required would be a PHP
wrapper that could send data to the daemon and receive the image in
return.

The question is: are there any solutions to my problem out there already,
or should I think about adopting the Orion/Java method? On the other hand,
should I look into developing a PHP wrapper to do this?

I'd rather not run Orion/J2EE, as I find it bulky and a bit cumbersome in
places - however, if I have to, I guess I have to. :)

TIA,

Nick Winfield
-[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]-