At 10:41 AM 5/4/2006, Jay Blanchard wrote:
People who use GET requests are lazy.

"Lazy"??  Jumpin jujubees yer spoilin' fer a fight, boy.

GET can be an extremely useful tool. As a user, with certain applications, I appreciate being able to tweak the URL manually in the browser address bar, include specific URLs in emails, bookmark dynamic pages whose specific content can be requested on the querystring, and so on. As a developer, I use GET in situations where I want to expose the client-server dialog to the user for any of the above reasons, or mark up hyperlinks to pages that depend on querystrings for their content. Any application that takes input from the querystring has to carefully validate it, but that's no different when you take input from PUT.

Do you think it's "lazy" to include any input in the URL or only after a question mark character? What about page & folder names? To my view, the elegant php.net style of content lookup, e.g. http://php.net/preg_match , is not significantly different from http://example.com/?term=preg_match or http://example.com/preg_match/search in terms of input parsing. Whether you parse URL nodes or cycle through the $_GET array is a trivial technical detail.

Now go on outside and breath some fresh air, you been workin on that computer too long.

Paul