I'm guessing the SMS system is rejecting the email because it's lacking some
headers that mail programs tend to use... and spammers sometimes forget.

You might send your email from Thunderbird.. CC yourself on it.  Verify that it
went through as a text message, then open the CC'd copy and look at the
headers.  You can start by taking all those headers and putting them into your
PHP script then slowly commenting some out until you get just what you need and
not a lot of extra garbage (to keep it simple and semi-elegant).

That's where I'd start at least.

-TG