On Tuesday 17 July 2007, tedd wrote:
> At 9:26 AM -0500 7/17/07, Larry Garfield wrote:
> >On Tuesday 17 July 2007, tedd wrote:
> >Once I have written code or words, the time I have spent on that is gone.
> > I will never get that time back, regardless of whether or not I get paid
> > for it after the fact.
>
> Ok, then it would be an acceptable excuse for your employer not to
> give you a paycheck -- after all, you already spent the time, right?
> That doesn't make sense dude.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying.

> I don't mean to be putting words in your mouth, but it sounds like
> your claim here is absurd.

Except that you are doing so, every time you reply.

> I'm not arguing copyright, or any other government bullshit, I'm
> simply saying that we all work for someone and we all should be paid
> for our efforts.

I am not disputing that.  The law says that you have a right to require such
payment in return for a copy of said work.  That is not in dispute.  It also
has nothing to do with "theft".

> An author of any digital material (code, books, music, whatever)
> should be paid for their effort just like anyone else. The idea that
> because the work product is digital, and thus there was no effort
> expended in making a copy, and thus implies no obligation to the
> author, is just plain wrong.

Please point me to anywhere that I made a distinction between electronic and
physical media as a recording mechanism for the work.  I didn't.  Again,
you're making up things that I supposedly said.

> I've written software all my life and I have on numerous occasions
> run into individuals who ask something like "Can you get me a copy?
> It's not worth it for me to pay for it because <you add in whatever
> reason you want>. I would just like to get a copy."

Ah, so that explains the chip on your shoulder that's apparently so large that
you are seeing things.

> However, these same people would be outraged if someone took a cent
> from their paycheck.
>
> We can't have double standards because of the medium -- work is work.

Once again, I have not said there should be.  I don't know who you think
you're responding to, but it's not me.

> If you didn't mean it that way -- my apologies.

How you got from what I said to what you're pretending I said I do not
comprehend.  Try actually reading what I wrote before you accuse me of trying
to destroy authors' livelihood, m'kay?

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson