Robert Cummings wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 19:10 -0400, brian wrote:

If my response to that gave you the impression i was
complaining, i assure you that i wasn't. I was simply suggesting
that i was wondering if there was a *much* simpler way to do this, ie.
without using several functions to process the filename. Yes, your
version *does* have some improvements. I'm not disagreeing with you. Perhaps i could have been more forthright in my praise for said improvements (i'm even going to use some of them--how about that?!)

Well, I'm not looking for praise... but asking a concise question goes a
long way towards meeting your desires.

How was my question *not* concise? If anything, it was my first reply to you that i could have spent more time on. Once again: your reply was valid, your corrections were taken into consideration, *but* i was simply wondering if there was a more (yes) concise way to do what i wanted. My humble apologies (really).

IOW, i'm not stupid; i'm well aware that 100 comes after 99 and that it contains 3 digits, not 2, thanks very much.

Nope, 100 comes *before* 99 when lexically sorting.

You must be new around here.

Did i say anything there about lexically sorting? The query i posted here was about counting. That last comment? Yep, counting again. Now you're obviously just trying to be a dickhead. Well done.

You must be charming to work with.

brian