On Jan 23, 2008 2:37 PM, Dotan Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 23/01/2008, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Back to the original question...
> >
> > I suppose you could use mysql_escape_string (note the lack of "real")
> > in the short term...
>
> I'd rather not. There is no short term.
>
> > It would be Real Nifty (tm) if the MySQL API had a function that let
> > you specify the charset without a connection and did the escaping.
> >
> > Presumably you don't NEED a connection if you already know what
> > charset thingie you are aiming at...
> >
> > Or maybe I'm not understanding something...
>
> You are understanding. I'm heading over to the mysql bugzilla now...
>

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

There isn't a reason to go and report a bug as their stuff works fine.

If you know you have utf8 and all that jazz then fine.  The only
reason you should use mysql escaping is right before you put a value
into the database.  To put a value in the database you must have a
connection.  So this really is a non-issue in my opinion.

Look at mysqli or pdo and start working with prepared statements. :)