At 12:53 PM -0500 2/25/08, Andrés Robinet wrote:
*gringos* started calling me Rob long ago. It's shorter, it's easier to
pronounce and it's a short form for my last name (Robinet).

Gringos?

That brings up another subject, why is it that Caucasians don't have any offensive slang words? We are called by all sorts of slang (i.e., cracker, white-bread, hunkie, and so on), but we don't have something equivalent to the n-word/

No reply is needed -- just a comment.

Thanks for pointing out the *who* instead of *that* :), since I didn't realized
it until now.

That's alright, many English writers get that wrong. You see, when the object is not a person, then the use of "that" is proper. However, if you are referring to a person, then "who" is proper.

I see a similar thing with people using "then" when they mean "than", but that may be a Brit thing -- like driving on the wrong side of the street or eating with their fork in the wrong hand -- you know one of those cultural things that went haywire. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------