On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Daniel Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I don't want to start any arguments or flame wars, but it's been
> my opinion for years that the US should require at least one year in
> the armed services as well.  If you want freedom and privileges, you
> should earn them, not feel automatically entitled to them by birth.

... except that your argument is EXACTLY opposite language of the
preamble from our own (US) Constitution: "We hold these truths to be
self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by
their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It has been a cornerstone
of our society from the beginning that no one has to EARN freedom.
Nevertheless, I have the utmost respect for those who have sacrificed
to ensure that liberty.

Andrew