Stut wrote:
On 23 Oct 2008, at 00:04, Martin Zvarík wrote:
I am looking at the eAccelerator's website and I realize what got me confused:

there is a function for OUTPUT CACHE, so it actually could cache the whole website and then run out of memory I guess...

that means I would be able to store anything into the memory and reference it by a variable? are the variables accessible across the whole server? I still don't really understand, but I am trying...

Having never used eAccelerator I can only guess, but it sounds like it's a way to cache HTML output. As for how accessible that is I have no idea. I suggest you find the eAccelerator mailing list, subscribe to that and ask your question there.

If you are looking into caching things in a very flexible way I'd look at the Zend_Cache API from the Zend Framework.

It has backedns to connection to APC and Memcache and also implements a disk-based caching system. You can cache all sorts of output, from function calls (both return value and side-effect output), html output and arbitrary objects.

Using an opcode cache is generally a good idea (part of the APC core will be included in PHP6, which is why I'm currently backing that particular horse), but for an application-level caching strategy, I think Zend_Cache has a lot going for it :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie