> First of all you need to get it clear in your head what an opcode cache

> is actually doing. It does not "cache the website", it caches the

> compiled version of the PHP scripts such that PHP doesn't need to

> recompile each file every time it's included which is the default way

> PHP works.

And, to be really clear, the savings in compile time is gravy.

The REAL savings is not hitting that slow-spinning disk drive to LOAD the PHP
script into RAM.

You'd get very similar performance boost if the opcode cache simply cached the
PHP source.

But it's just as easy to cache the compiled version, and that saves a few more
microseconds/milliseconds.

Depends how big/long/convoluted the PHP source is, but, really, it rarely is
that big of a file.

I doubt that 2 opcode caches can run in parallel, as they both "hook" into the
same line of code in PHP.  And if they did run in parallel, the second one
would not help in the least, and would actually just be more overhead for zero
gain.

PS

All the opcode caches have a strategy for unloading less-used scripts if RAM is
full, so don't sweat it unless you have crazy number of scripts.