At 11:23 AM -0500 12/11/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:05 -0500, tedd wrote:
 > When I say "Hack a site" I mean to do something to get the site to
 provide an unintended result as  expected by the author.

 Much like using CSS "Hacks" to get browsers to do something that was
 not intended by the original designers.

 On the other hand, my understanding of "cracking" means to "crack"
 some type of encryption. Thus, the reason why I did not say "cracking
 the site" instead of "hacking the site".

Cracking is not just about encryption. It's about bypassing any kind of
measure put in place to prevent someone from doing something. Hacking on
the other hand does not embody this principle, although hacking may be
employed to achieve cracking. Just because pop culture is completely
ignorant to the difference, doesn't mean you as a member of the
community need to jump on board and bleat like a sheep. If you intend to
misuse hacker, then you should at least provide more detail such as
white-, grey-, or black-hat.

Cheers,
Rob.

Okay, I shall adjust my fracking terminology. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------