On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 10:59 +1300, German Geek wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:03 AM, tedd <tedd.sperl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At 11:23 AM -0500 12/11/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:05 -0500, tedd wrote:
> >>  > When I say "Hack a site" I mean to do something to get the site to

> >> Cracking is not just about encryption. It's about bypassing any kind of
> >> measure put in place to prevent someone from doing something. Hacking on
> >> the other hand does not embody this principle, although hacking may be
> >> employed to achieve cracking. Just because pop culture is completely
> >> ignorant to the difference, doesn't mean you as a member of the
> >> community need to jump on board and bleat like a sheep. If you intend to
> >> misuse hacker, then you should at least provide more detail such as
> >> white-, grey-, or black-hat.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Rob.
> >>

> > Okay, I shall adjust my fracking terminology. :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > tedd
> >

> Cracking to me is when someone uses an already existing hack to use it for
> their own gain in a malicious way to someone else.
> Hacking is finding new security holes or problems with some software to fix
> the security holes, or just for fun without causing any demage or revealing
> sensitive information.
> A hacker to me, is an admirable person, who can find new security issues.
> A cracker to me, is someone exploiting hacks already in existence.
I tend to agree with these definitions:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci212220,00.html

The hacker is generally considered to be someone knowledgeable about a
specific aspect of computers and uses that. This can obviously be used
for good or ill. Cracker is generally a non-hacker (IMHO) that uses the
works of hackers to break into things. The general media has this a bit
messed up, and a hacker to them is typically someone who breaks into
systems with malicious intent.

Of course, the other meanings:

hacker: someone who chops down trees
cracker: something you pull at xmas (can be of the female
persuasion ;) )

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk