On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:50:25PM -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:

<snip>

>    OMG, and don't get me started on ORM. What a bloat that is. The amount of
>    query overhead is rediculous. All these stupid objects for even the
>    simplest of 'glue tables'. Straight SQL, optimized for your query and the
>    data you need is significantly faster. But if you try to use that in a
>    framework, you have other drama to deal with. Here is the base.class.php I
>    wrote that gives the best of all worlds IMHO...

Um, your base.class.php belongs to your company and says at the top not
to copy or distribute. Oops.

I didn't mention ORM, but I agree completely. I come from a database
background, so writing SQL and designing databases is simple to me. And
I'd suggest that if you're going to work with databases, you learn their
design and language (SQL). Data "objects" have a certain symmetry and
aesthetic, but they mostly add overhead. And they isolate you from a
full understanding of how the database works.

Most of the system code in the world is written in C, which hasn't
anything like objects.  And yet all that system code works pretty well.
And most of the guys who code it would smack you silly if you suggested
objects to them.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster